Friday, June 7, 2013

Happy World Oceans Day



World Oceans Day is tomorrow June 8th but of course, every day is World Oceans Day around here.  I'll take any excuse to head to the water.

One way to celebrate is to make a promise to help the oceans.  Here's some sample promises to get your thoughts going. 


I promise to not eat meat on Mondays
I promise to bring reusable bags to the grocery store
I promise to get a reusable water bottle
I promise to shop a thrift store first instead of buying new
I promise to take shorter showers.
I promise to take public transportation to school/work once a week.
I promise to only eat sustainably harvested seafood.
I promise to unplug my chargers when I’m not using them.
I promise to shut off all the lights and A/C when I leave my house.
I promise to participate in a litter clean-up.
I promise to not use toxic pesticides on my lawn.
 

Also, the Ocean Project is collecting promises. You can make a promise and post it and tag it. They’re hoping for tons of promises to help the oceans and many are already coming in.

You can create your own promise or use one above.  Either way you’re celebrating the oceans and helping to keep them healthy.  Here's how to do it: Make a Promise.

Whatever you do, make sure you pause and enjoy the oceans on their official day.  It's good for you and good for them -- we protect what we love, a wise man once said.


No comments: