Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fright Delight



Have you ever been out swimming alone in the big blue?

I was swimming off Kauai once, alone in some big morning waves.  I had fins and a mask but was feeling tossed around.  As usual the ocean did what it wanted with me.

I looked down and saw shafts of light knifing downward through the green water into the abyss, into the darkness below me.  I could see no bottom, no coral, rocks, or anything but the deep.

I imagined the beasts that would come up and devour me.  I imagined sinking into that darkness, the water getting colder, the light dimming, lungs burning.  My heart raced.

I raised my head out of the water to get my bearings and to be reassured by the land.  It was there but felt far away.  The jungle behind the small beach was more shadow than deep green.

Another swell forced me to focus on the water again.  I bobbed and swam, and made progress. I would be back ashore soon enough. I knew that.

Then I looked below me once more, into the abyss -- I couldn't resist -- and my heart raced again.

Happy Halloween.

(originally posted on Eco Ocean 10/31/11) 

No comments: